Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Copy Writing

I am writing content for a few friend's websites. The experience is invigorating. I learn and write and learn and write, doing the best I can to intrigue. 

To be intriguing is not as rational as one would think. There is something poetic about it, something emotional and raw, deriving from the gut instead of the head. 

I say "We need you" instead of "we can be of service." 
I say "Let's do it together" instead of "we can help."
And I say "We can help" instead of "our services are..."

Its actually really fun, but it makes me reflect long and hard on the way words come together. 

Just to digress a little, I am taking a poetry writing workshop online. They asked me to define poetry and here is what I wrote: 


  • Poetry is the placing of words onto the page, or screen, some sort of space. The words placed onto this linguistic terrain forge forth sounds, which combined make meanings, which played with can make metaphors; all of which, in languish, are projected and emitted as emotion and/or experience.

I list the various aspects that make poetry whether it be space or sound or experience, poetry to me is a tugging of words and sounds to and fro till something honest is compiled.



This is what I mean by "reflect long and hard on the way words come together." Words don't appear, they are created, and sentences and phrases are also created. The possible transformations of language are limitless and this luridness is overwhelming, but also great. 

So how does one intrigue. That is ultimately a question of how playful one can be with language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment